Audition For The WYC
Singers for this choir are selected through an audition process.
Auditions for the 2019/2020 season are now complete. If you are still interested in a spot for this upcoming season please contact us to book an audition time
Auditions for the WYC are made up of the following components:
- A basic choreography component which will be taught and evaluated at the audition. This component is used to evaluate the singer’s ability to move in time with the music.
- An ear testing/pitching matching component. This component is used to evaluate the singer’s aural skills.
- A solo sing component that will be used to evaluate the singer’s tone, projection, breath quality, and pitch. This component requires the preparation of BOTH of the following two requirements:
- One song, of the singer’s choice, to be prepared and performed either a capella (without music) or with our accompanist (either piano or guitar)
- One song selected from the list below, to be prepared and performed along with our piano accompanist (additional instructions outlined below)
Here Are The Songs You Can Choose From
Please select one song from the below options. Use the age and gender guide to assist you in your selection. Each song has associated instructions that advise the singer where they should begin and where they should end. Each song has two accompanying rehearsal tracks; one with the melody of the line they need to learn and the second with the piano accompaniment part. Both should be used by the singer when preparing for the audition. Start by using the simple melody line to learn the part and then gradually begin using the accompaniment part to rehearse along to. Singers will be expected to sing their selection along with the corresponding accompaniment part which will be played for them live during the audition by our accompanist.
The Girl I Mean to Be (Secret Garden)
Guide: This is aimed at younger female singers aged 7-14.
Instructions: Start at the bottom of the first page where is says: ‘I need a place where I can hide’ and sing through to the top of page 3 where it ends with ‘and there I’ll find me.’
Electricity (Billy Elliot)
Guide: This is aimed at unchanged boy voices.
Instructions: Start from the bottom of page 2 with the last few words: ‘And then I’ and continue to the top of page 4 at the first ending where it says: ‘and I’m free, I’m free.’
Fallin’ (They’re Playin’ Our Song)
Guide: This is aimed at changed voices.
Instructions: Start right at the beginning of the song and sing though most of the way to the end of page 2 where the first ending is. The last few words are: ‘why do I always take a fall when I fall in love?’