Winnipeg Youth Chorus Junior
The Winnipeg Youth Chorus Junior (WYCJ) is an auditioned choir consisting of singers aged 8-12 from Winnipeg and the surrounding area.
Led by Irene Penner and Jorrel Camuyong, the WYCJ is designed to support and develop younger singers in the community to prepare them to sing in more advanced choral ensembles as they get older.
Singers for this choir are selected through an audition process.
2016 – 2017 auditions for the WYCJ will take place on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 from 6:00pm – 9:00pm and Saturday, June 18, 2016 from 9:00am – 4:00pm
Please note that Wednesday, June 11, 2016 is FULL and only a few spaces remain for Saturday, June 18, 2016
Auditions for the WYCJ are made up of the following components:
- A basic choreography component which will be taught and evaluated at the audition. This component is used to evaluate the singer’s ability to move in time with music.
- The singer should come prepared to sing either a song of their own choice, O Canada or Happy Birthday.
- There will be a basic pitch matching component as well.
When: Wednesday Nights from 7:00pm – 8:30pm
Where: Miles Macdonell Collegiate – 757 Roch Street
- Black Polo Shirt (provided as part of the uniform)
- Black Jacket (provided as part of the uniform)
- Black pants (not provided)
- Black closed toe, flat shoes (not provided)
- Black socks (not provided)
Tuition for the 2016/2017 season for WYCJ is $575.00.
Tuition is payable in a lump sum or multiple payments throughout the year.
The cost is broken down as follows:
- Insurance – $15.00
- Music Directors / Other Musicians – $120.00
- Uniform – $25.00
- 2 Camps – $275.00
- Rehearsal Space – $5.00
- Music / Music Supplies – $30.00
- Administrative Costs – $30.00
- Equipment Costs – $50.00
- Engineering Costs – $25.00
Thinking of applying? Tell us a bit about yourself!
Fill out the form below to kick off the audition process…
Frequently Asked Questions
Click on one of the questions below to see its answer!
How old do I need to be to sing in the WYCJ?
Singers need to be between the ages of 8 and 12 (in grades 3 through 6 during the applicable school year)
When is Camp for WYCJ?
Camps are held in November and April. Attendance at camp is mandatory. Camp makes up approximately the equivalent of 5 regular rehearsals.
Are there additional rehearsals for WYCJ?
There may be 1-2 additional Saturday rehearsals scheduled throughout the year close to concert dates to be used as dress rehearsals. These dates are provided before the start of the year in order to help you plan ahead to ensure attendance.