Winnipeg Youth Chorus
The Winnipeg Youth Chorus is an auditioned choir consisting of singers aged 12 to 22 from Winnipeg and the surrounding area.
Founded in 1989, the choir ran successfully until 2005 when the founding directors retired. In fall of 2011, Lisa, a graduating member of the original choir, and her husband Garth stepped up to take over the directorship and bring the Youth Chorus back into action.
Singers for this choir are selected through an audition process.
2016 – 2017 season auditions for the WYC will take place on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 from 6:00pm – 9:00pm and Saturday, June 18, 2016 from 9:00am – 4:00pm
Please note that Wednesday, June 11, 2016 is FULL and only a few spaces remain for Saturday, June 18, 2016
Auditions for the WYC are made up of the following components:
- An ear testing / pitch matching component. This component is used to evaluate the singer’s aural skills.
- A basic choreography component which will be taught and evaluated during the audition. This component is used to evaluate the singer’s ability to move in time with music.
- The first two lines of O Canada. The singer will be responsible to learn and perform both the melody line as well as either the alto, tenor or bass line. This component is used to evaluate the singer’s confidence while singing in harmony. Click here for the pdf file with sheet music for O Canada with all four parts. Click the following links to hear each of the harmony parts: Alto line, tenor line, bass line, four-parts
- One song of the singer’s choice is to be performed either a cappella or with accompaniment (an accompanist will be available as required)
When: Wednesday Nights from 6:45pm – 8:45pm
Where: Miles Macdonell Collegiate – 757 Roch Street
- Black Polo Shirt (provided as part of the uniform)
- Black Pants (not provided)
- Black closed toe, flat shoes (not provided)
- Black socks (not provided)
Tuition for the 2016/2017 season for WYC is $600.00
Tuition is payable in a lump sum or multiple payments throughout the year.
The cost is broken down as follows:
- Insurance – $15.00
- Accompanist / Other Musicians – $125.00
- Uniform – $25.00
- 2 Camps – $275.00
- Rehearsal Space – $5.00
- Music / Music Supplies – $50.00
- Administrative Costs – $30.00
- Equipment Costs – $50.00
- Engineering Costs – $25.00
Thinking of applying? Tell us a bit about yourself!
Fill out the form below to kick off the audition process…
Frequently Asked Questions
Click on one of the questions below to see its answer!
How old do I need to be to sing in the WYC?
You need to be between the ages of 12 and 22 (must be in grade 7 during the applicable school year to be eligible)
When is Camp for WYC Members?
Camps are held in November and April. Attendance at camp is mandatory. Each camp makes up approximately the equivalent of 5 regular rehearsals
Are there additional rehearsals for the WYC?
Four additional Saturday rehearsals are scheduled throughout the years and scheduled close to concert dates to be used as dress rehearsals. These dates are provided before the start of the year in order to help you plan ahead to ensure attendance.
Are there additional performances for the WYC?
The choir does get hired to perform at events throughout the year. Information will be sent to parents as early as possible to allow for planning. These performances could occur any day / evening of the week.